port macquarie lighthouse

Former Bank

Project Type: Alterations and Additions

Client: McNeil Ellis Architects
 

Location: 35 Elbow St, West Kempsey
 

This building was constructed in 1921 by the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Ltd (CBC) from plans prepared by Kent and Massie Architects.

The building closed in 1943 then re-opened as an agency before eventually being sold by the bank and subsequently used as Government offices.

It is a locally listed heritage item, a good example of country banking architecture of the early 20th century and is a significant element in the streetscape.

The proposal was to provide for the relocation of an existing Medical Centre which at any one time has up to 8 doctors consulting resulting in peak loads of 40+ people waiting.

The proposal required the utilisation of part of the ground floor as a reception area, waiting room, office and procedure room with access to staff facilities on an upper level by new stairs behind the reception area. It also required the removal of an existing lean to building that abutted, additions to the existing building and the removal of infill windows within arches on the eastern façade and the reveals on the arches being reinstated.

< back to projects
CBC Bank Kempsey